Beneteau and the American Sailing Association (ASA) have collaborated in creating the ASA First 22, a fiberglass sailboat built specifically as a one-design sail training vessel. Its cockpit is extra large to accommodate 4 adult students and an instructor — all sitting on one side of the cockpit. She has twin rudders, a swing keel and draws just 2’4″ (.71 m) with keel up. Most important she is easy to sail. The ASA First 22 makes a perfect entry-level sailboat and is available to all, not just sailing schools.
- Naval architect: Finot Conq and Assc.
- Length overall: 21′ / 6.40 m
- L.W.L: 19′ 8” / 6.00 m
- Beam: 8′ 2” / 2.49 m
- Lifting keel draft: 5′ 11” / 1.80 m
- Mainsail approx: 172 sq ft /15.99 m²
- Furling genoa approx: 97 sq ft / 9.01 m²
- Asymmetrical spinnaker: 334 sq ft / 31.04 m²